When trolling lures for Blue marlin aboard ‘Bite Me’, we run a standard spread of four lures off bent butt chair rods and use Penn International 80STWs. We run a long and short corner from the transom rod holders and a long and short rigger from the chair. Sometimes we run a teaser such as a spreader bar or a Pakula Witchdoctor.
We never run a shotgun. We always aim to tag & release all billfish and use Billfish Foundation tags. We generally use lures that imitate or approximate to the baitfish in the area such as skipjack & Yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi or flying fish.
Although We use wire rigs a lot because of wahoo, we don’t double the wire inside the skirt to make a stiff rig. We just use a single wire to the hook allowing some flexibility and swing. Lures are tooth-picked or hooks set with the point or points upwards. Two hook rigs have the hooks offset at about 45 degrees.
Our recommendations are for normal general fishing on a reasonably calm day in bright or slightly overcast weather when targeting fish of any size. This is what works for us. Its not necessarily what will work for you!
We tend to use this position more as a teaser or to tempt a monster fish with a monster lure.
1. MBT custom made monster – Silver over yellow – 2 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
2. Pakula Smokin Jo – Blue Silver/ Green Gold – 2 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
3. Marlin Magic Mirror Big Dog – Purple – 2 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
1. Hollowpoint Goblin – silver/green/gold – 1 x 12/0 wire rig
2. Pakula Rat – Black/Red – 2 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
3. John Lau Good Head – Blue yellow / Redyellow – 2 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
4. Top Gun Ball bearing Nightmare – Clear Purple tint in water / Black Gold – 1 x 12/0 wire shackle rig
1. Joe Yee Apollo – Evil – 2 x 11/0 wire shackle rig
2. Black Bart Hot Breakfast – Blue white / pink white (yellow stripe) – 1 x 11/0 wire rig
3. John Lau Talibung – Black/Red – 2 x 11/0 wire shackle rig
4. MBT Tulip – Blue white / White – 2 x 11/0 wire shackle rig
1. Hollowpoint Cabo Killa – Purple – 1 x 10/0 wire rig
2. Mould craft Wide Range – Purple – 1 x 12/0 Wire rig
3. Pakula Sprocket – Lumo – 2 x 10/0 wire shackle rig (this lure picks up a lot of wahoo)
4. Wellseys Hypahead Large Talai – Black/Gold – 2 x 11/0 wire shackle rig
Where we get our lures:
* Palm Fishing Australia
* Wellsys Tackle
* Melton International Tackle
Lure Manufacturer Links:
* Pakula lures
* Hollowpoint Lures
* Marlin Magic Lures
* Wellsys Lures
* MBT Lures
* John Lau Lures – Contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Black Bart Lures
If you want to know what the top Australian skippers use, check out the lead article in the Feb / Mar 2008 issue of BlueWater magazine, http://www.bluewatermag.com.au/
Adrian was born on the island of Cyprus and graduated to his first rod & reel at the age of five. Having fished around the world from the Arabian Gulf to the North sea and English Channel, he finally settled for the tropical waters of the South Pacific around the island of Kadavu, Fiji Islands. Director of Matava Resort Gamefishing, he skippers ‘Bite Me’, the resort’s 31ft DeepVee Gamefishing vessel and thoroughly enjoys exploring the light and heavy tackle fishing around the island and Great Astrolabe Barrier Reef. An IGFA Certified Captain, he advocates tag & release and is a keen supporter of the IGFA and the Billfish Foundation.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Adrian_Watt